TRIP REPORT: EL SALVADOR – JAN 21-28, 2013 Some of my favorite coffees year after year come from the tiny, but very diverse country of El Salvador. The cup quality is outstanding from the farms we work with, but perhaps even more, the relationships we have built as a company over the years with them are perhaps… Continue Reading
On September 9th, PT’s Coffee at College Hill hosted the Endless Summer Throwdown and Signature Drink Challenge in Topeka, KS.
Competitors, friends, and family came from all around the Central Midwest coffee community. Cafés represented include:
- PT’s at College Hill – Topeka, KS
- Onyx Coffee Lab – Bentonville, AR
- The Coffee Ethic – Springfield, MO
- Post Coffee Co. – Lee’s Summit, MO
- Quay – Kansas City, MO
- Arrow Coffee – Manhattan, KS
- Messenger Coffee – Lenexa, KS
- Reverie Coffee – Wichita, KS
- 1900 Barker – Lawrence, KS
- Judee’s – Topeka, KS
The festivities began with Signature Drink Challenge. Six baristas went head-to-head in a “Chopped” influenced competition using PT’s Southpaw espresso blend and three surprise ingredients: orange slice candy, fresh lime, and a cinnamon stick. Holly Bastin of Roast Ratings, Reagan Petrehn of 1900 Barker, and PT’s own QC Grader, Maritza Taylor judged the competition.
Adrienne Anderson of Post Coffee Co. was the winner!
The Latte Art Throwdown was judged by Kiersten Rex of Messenger Coffee, Joel Bigelow of Arrow Coffee, and Ben Helt of Midwest Coffee Co.
- 1st Place: Ian Walla of 1900 Barker
- 2nd Place: Leah Shinkle of PT’s Coffee
- 3rd Place: Elaine Rodriguez of PT’s at College Hill
PT’s Coffee would like to thank the following sponsors for the prizes and swag:
- Baratza for the Encore Grinder
- Saint Anthony Industries for the custom Sergeant Apron
- notNeutral for the Lino Latte Set and Ciclone Glasses
- About the Coffee for the sweet custom Pitchers and Tampers
- La Marzocco for the swag
- Barista Magazine for the swag and subscriptions for the winners
- Synesso for the swag
- Blue Collar Press for the custom Tees
- Happy Basset Brewing Co. for the beer
- Norseman Brewing Co. for the beer
Shoutout to Dakota Graff for photographing the event and to the Midwest coffee community for good vibes!
TRIP REPORT: EL SALVADOR – JAN 21-28, 2013 Some of my favorite coffees year after year come from the tiny, but very diverse country of El Salvador. The cup quality is outstanding from the farms we work with, but perhaps even more, the relationships we have built as a company over the years with them… Continue Reading
Well, the inaugural Flatlanders’ Barista Cup is in the books now and all of us are exhausted, but feeling pretty good! From what I saw, everyone had a great time, and learned a TON about espresso and some of our very close Direct Trade Farms. The presentations were awesome and far beyond what I think… Continue Reading
So there has been a lot of buzz surrounding the competition circuit this season regarding a newer grinder on the scene. The Anfim.Wanting to at least understand it better, if not use it ourselves, Jeff was nice enough to buy one for our team of baristi to experiment with and evaluate. Here’s what we’ve found… Continue Reading